Vino Vero (meaning 'real wine') is an award winning shop based in the thriving fishing town of Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. For more than 7 years their small but perfectly formed shop has has been supplying the good people of South East Essex (and beyond). They love wines made as simply as possible. Organic and biodynamic farming without synthetic chemicals or additions with minimal intervention in the cellar.
They have personal relationships with many of their winemakers. They go to the pub with them. They visit their domaines. they harvest grapes with them. They know their families. They don't just tell you their wine is good; they know it is (and we believe them!).
We have four of their white wine recommendations for you to choose from:
1. Petits Clement Sauvignon Mauzac
- Grape varieties: Sauvignon Blanc, Mauzac
- From: Gaillac, France
- Production method: Vegan
- The winery masterfully blend international, well known grape varieties (in this instance, Sauvignon Blanc) with local, indigenous types (that's the Mauzac). It's a marriage made in heaven - a grassy, aromatic element from the Sauvignon, mixed with the mineral, zippy nature of the Mauzac.
2. Ciello Bianco
- From: Sicily, Italy
- Grape varieties: Catarratto
- Production method: Organic, vegan, natural
- Ciello Bianco has to be one of the best value white wines available in the UK. Made from organically grown Catarratto grapes, it is made in a very simple natural way and is completely unfiltered, leaving it very hazy indeed! This adds to the lovely rounded texture of the wine. Flavours of pear and anise mingle with a slight smokiness.
- Please note that it is perfectly normal if this wine is very cloudy and has a lot of sediment. Don't panic! It tastes great and the cloudiness imparts a really lovely texture.
3. Gran Cerdo Blanco
- From: Rioja, Spain
- Production method: Organic, vegan
- Grape varieties: A blend of 9+ grape varieties
- Gran Cerdo Blanco is our kind of mid-week wine. Made by one of our favourite winemakers, it's 80% Viura - the white grape variety of Rioja - and 20% of a co-planting of aromatic grape varieties that winemaker Gonzalo Gonzalo planted around 3 years ago. The result is a fresh, light wine with some aromatic backbone. Lemons are pitted against peaches and white flowers.
- Gonzalo has a cult following for his rebellious winemaking. Translating as 'fat pig', the wine is named for the bankers who refused to loan him money for his vineyard and rails against them in the label blurb.
- The anti-establishment sentiment doesn't stop there: despite being in Rioja and using many biodynamic practices, it's certified as neither. Instead, Gonzalo works his 4.5 hectare plot with his own hands and his own rules.
- From: Bulgaria
- Region: Thracian Valley
- Grape varieties: Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc
- Producer: Soli
A blend of Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc from the Miroglio estate vineyards in the Thracian Valley. Enticing aromatics dominated by exotic spice and semi dried pineapple, perfectly ripe juicy peaches and apple zing. Simultaneously delivers heady aromatics, texture and freshness in spaces. Soli Pinot may be the darling of many, but we're a fan of you too Soli White!